Tuesday 8 May 2012

About myself

Where to start...

The first hockey game I watched was in 1999; Wayne Gretzky's last NHL game that he played in Canada. I was watching it with my grandfather, who was babysitting me as my mom and grandmother had gone to do some chores. All game I had been asking tons of questions;
"Why do their chests look so big?"
"Whats that picture on the tummy?" (Referring to the Senators "centurion" logo)
"Who is that waving to the crowd?"

That's when I learned who Wayne Gretzky was. The last regular season game he played in Canada, and this is when I learn about who he is. Granted I was born in 1994, and this being my first hockey game ever watched. Regardless, I was so intrigued and into the whole game, that's when I fell in love.

Did I play organized hockey myself? No. Growing up with only my sister, my mom, and seeing my dad once a month, money had always been tight, and had to pass on organized sports. That changed going into high school, where I joined hockey (bought the equipment myself) and soccer. I still don't play organized hockey, only pickup. Usually with some friends from church on Friday nights after our youth group.

I grew up and currently live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I am a die hard Senators fan, and have a soft spot for the Montreal Canadiens (my grandfather being from Quebec and cheering for them since he was a kid).

My grandfather was always someone I looked up to, but sadly, he passed in March of 2005. I believe it was because of the NHL lockout, that no games were played. That's my theory, which I plan to stick with.

I'm currently finishing my last year of high school, and hoping to go to school for radio and television broadcasting to become a hockey analyst/sportscaster. Since I couldn't play when I was younger, and my chance to make the big leagues is slim pickings, I want to get as close to the action as I can.

Journalism is a possibility, this would be a great start I find. Why not see where life takes me?

Thanks for stopping by. Come by soon, I plan to update this as often as I can.

-Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment