Wednesday 9 May 2012

NJ tops Philadelphia

So once again, I missed a pivotal game in the semi-finals. I was at my church recording some music during the NJ-PHI game, but a quick look at NHL.com let my eyes to see that the Devils had defeated one of the Cup favourites. So tomorrow night, I can finally sit down to (hopefully) watch Washington force a game 7 at the Verizon Center.

I did get the chance to watch some IIHF action. Having two spares in a semester really pays off around this time. I caught the 2nd and 3rd periods of the Slovakia-Switzerland match, and the third period of the Russia-Germany game. A few things caught my eye while watching these games;
- International play is much more intense. This might be due to the fact its an international tournament and not a league game (I've never watched a DEL/KHL/Sm-liiga/Elitserien match), the larger ice surface, or the fans, which are alot like soccer fans (which I've been to my fair share of games)
- A lot more scrums and pushing & shoving after the whistle

The last time I watched an international game was the 2010 Olympic gold medal game (didn't pay attention to much IIHF play last year). But that could be because its the Olympics, with the majority being NHL'ers.

I'm gonna miss hockey once the playoffs are done. Kinda regret starting this blog so late in the hockey season, but better now than never, I'll be prepared for next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment